During the 2022 legislative session, the nine members of the High School Success Coalition will be advocating together for proven policies that are grounded in racial equity and support every student in Washington to achieve a rigorous high school diploma that prepares them for postsecondary opportunities and to pursue their dreams.
Download a PDF version of our priorities here.
In 2022, we are committed to ensuring that student supports and school funding center the needs of young people who have historically been furthest from opportunity.
Together, the nine members of our coalition will champion the following priorities:
- Focused, effective use of funding – including federal COVID relief funding – for evidence-based programs that specifically support high school students furthest from opportunity.
- Ninth Grade Success programs that ensure students returning to high school after the pandemic receive support to stay on track to graduation.
- Counseling and support for postsecondary planning, including effective High School and Beyond Plan implementation.
- High-quality high school graduation requirements and pathways that prepare students for post-secondary opportunities leading to credential attainment and family-wage jobs.
- Robust financial aid opportunities through expanded College Bound Scholarship eligibility, increased WASFA/FAFSA completion, and launch of the WSAC Community Challenge Grant.
Our coalition also supports:
- Updating the definition of foster care in statutes to ensure consistency and continuity of services
- Direct supports for college students (e.g. Navigators)
- Access to financial literacy curriculum for high school students